Tuesday, March 6, 2012

1 Month


(I love her face in this picture-it's like she's saying "ok mom, enough with the pictures already!" :)

Brooklyn is already 1 month old today! The past month has been one of the craziest and most humbling experiences of my life. Motherhood can be hard!-who knew? ;) But even though it has been challenging, I wouldn't change anything and have learned so many new lessons. I have been amazed at how little sleep your body can function on! I don't know if anything can prepare you for being a new mom. Between the trauma your body goes through, all the shifting hormones, lack of sleep, and the constant concern you have for your new babe who you love more than anything, it can make you pretty emotional and overwhelmed-at least for me anyways! I love my little girl more than words can say and love watching her grow everyday. I feel like she is already so big! The most recent stats I have on her were at her 2 week appointment for a weight check and she weighed 9 lbs. 10 oz., so I'm curious where she is at right now. I think the hardest thing so far for us has been breastfeeding. We are still struggling. I had cracked before we left the hospital and so that made the first couple weeks pretty miserable during feedings. Then when all of that healed I developed a yeast infection of the breasts which is also painful and am still trying to get it cleared up. Brooklyn hasn't been the best nurser either and will sometimes fight it-good thing she takes a bottle great! But she has actually gotten a lot better-I just wish I didn't dread every feeding but it's hard not to when you know it's going to be painful. It's starting to get better but I have come close to quitting almost everyday because it has been so stressful. However, I am plagued with feelings of guilt and failure when I think about quitting even though sometimes I feel like it might be better for both of us. Breastfeeding is just something I have always wanted to do so it's been pretty frustrating that it hasn't worked out how I would like so far. I'm going to wait till this infection goes away before I make any decisions. My expensive breast pump has definitely been my life saver the last month! Anyways, here are some fun facts about Brooklyn at 1 month...
-She eats about every 3 hours during the day and is starting to stretch out her feedings at night to every 4-5 hours (which we love and hope it continues)
-She seems to always have a bowel movement while she is eating and will refuse to eat until she is done-can you blame her? :)
-She has lots of blow-outs and is starting to spit up a lot more
-She loves her changing table! Every time she is there she is so content and loves just looking around.
-She is a pretty good sleeper! She still likes to be rocked to sleep but is getting better at falling asleep on her own.
-She has become much more alert during the day and is always looking around.
-She loves to look at our mirror, sconces, clock, and picture frames.
-She hates to be burped and will get fussy unless she is sleepy.
-She is getting strong and can support her head pretty well. She has recently started to kick off our laps to try and stand.
-She always has her hands by her face and won't let me swaddle them.
-She hates to be put in her car seat but once the car starts moving she will quiet down and usually falls asleep.
-She has started grabbing onto my hair, especially while she's nursing.
-Lots of people are thrown through a loop when they see her dark hair and us as her parents. However, I was born with the same dark hair and it all fell out around 5 months and came back blonde. Hers is already starting to lighten up a little bit so we are curious to see what will happen with it! We love how much hair she has though!
-Her eyes are getting more blue every day
-She is super long! The hospital first measured her at 19 3/4 inches but then a couple days later at her dr appointment they got a better measurement at 21 3/4 inches which made a lot more sense to us!
-Her hands and feet are long too.
-Her eyelashes and eyebrows are coming in which are giving her more defining characteristics.
-She is constantly making noises with lots of grunting! She is a pretty noisy sleeper!
-She just gets cuter and cuter everyday!
We sure love her!

3 comments:

Meagan Hull said...

Hey! Kaiden and I went through some of the same difficulties with breastfeeding. I was cracked and bloody and would cry the whole time I fed him. And I would get an infection, get it cleared up, then get another one 2-3 days later. Eventually I gave up and just pumped so that I could heal. I felt awful giving up, but he was still getting the good breastmilk and I wasn't miserable, so it was a better situation for us. After about 3 weeks, we tried breastfeeding again and it was fabulous and I never had another problem! If you are dreading feeding her, it might be helpful for both of you to take a break for a few days :) Just an idea. She's adorable! Congrats!

Morgan & Kristen said...

Hey Whitney! Ty and I also had SO many problems breastfeeding! He didn't end up even being able to until he was 5 days old and then he would cry hysterically through every feeding. When he was 3.5 months old he was finally diagnosed with a tongue tie which was making him not able to eat well. Now at 6 months things are much easier and I'm so glad I stuck with it. I too really thought of quitting but the bonding experience during breadtfeeding is really special once it starts working better. Don't feel guilty about your decisions because whatever works for both of you is the right decision and the important thing is just that she's being fed :)

Malone Family said...

Emery was the SAME way with always having her hands up by her face and never letting me swaddle them! haha. So glad you're loving being a mom. Your little girl sure sounds precious! Good luck with the breastfeeding. You never realize how difficult it can be until it's your turn to try, of course :) I think every new mom gets a little taste of that, so don't get too discouraged!