Monday, April 2, 2012

Motherhood Initiation

I had a funny experience last week that I feel is just one of those times you have to go through to be initiated into motherhood! It was funny once it was over, not during though!! Here is the story:
Brooklyn is starting to sleep really well at night and during the day but was having an off-day and would not take a good morning nap like usual. She kept cat-napping for 15 min and then would be wide-eyed for another hour which eventually led to a pretty cranky baby. Normally, I would have bagged the whole going to the store thing but 1. We were out of diapers and only had size 2 diapers which are a tiny bit too big around her legs so she would wet through her clothes every time-which led to 3 outfit changes in the morning, and 2. We were out of batteries for her swing-which was probably why she wasn't sleeping good because she has refused to take good naps anywhere but her swing these days. So I decided this might actually be the solution since she usually falls asleep in the car and in the stroller while I run errands so I made sure she was fed and headed out the door. I should have known I was in for trouble when she didn't stop crying the entire car ride to Target. After crying for a little bit once in the store she finally gave in to her fatigue and fell asleep. I thought, perfect! My plan is working! So I took my sweet time getting everything I needed and was enjoying being out of the house. Then all of a sudden she woke up and figured out she was in her car seat and started screaming. I tried everything to get her to just go back to sleep but she was not having it. So I took her out of her seat. Now I had an infant in one arm and was pushing the cart with the other. She calmed down for a while and I enjoyed all the compliments of how cute she is. :) Then her tiredness overcame her again and she started crying again. So here I am trying to calm her down in various aisles of Target with lots of dirty looks and comments like, "Boy, she sounds hungry." Finally, I decide she is just not going to calm down till we get home and I can put her down for a nap, so I try and get out of there as fast as possible. I finally get her back in her car seat, checked out, and am putting stuff in the car when I realize that the lip gloss I was going to buy was still in the cart and I never paid for it. So I throw the car seat over my arm with my crying baby, head back in the store and pay for it. I try it on in the car, and as luck would have it, I hated it! lol. She continued to cry the entire car ride home. Once we got home I immediately took her out of the car seat and she instantly cuddled up on my shoulder and fell asleep. My heart was purely melted and I couldn't help but just laugh. I was exhausted so I laid down in bed with her all snuggly on my chest and we took a nice little nap together, which is one of the greatest things in the world in my book.
 Moral of the story: Don't run out of the essentials!!
I'm sure I will have plenty of stories like these down the road but love being a mother to the cutest, sweetest, little girl!
Here are some of my favorite pictures of her recently...










2 comments:

the Sisters said...

Ha! I've been there... you handled it like a champ though. Pretty sure the first time that happened to me I started to cry, abandoned my cart and bolted as fast as humanly possible. Gotta love those awesome comments from strangers. I cannot believe how big she is!!

Diana Hulme said...

Ah! What a nightmare. I totally know what you mean...motherhood often puts you in situations where you're like, "There's no way I can do this." And then you do it, somehow! :) Really doesn't help when other people give their opinions, too! It's a good thing she's so cute you can't stay mad at her for long! Hehe. :)