Saturday, December 15, 2012

10 months





I swear I just did a monthly update on Brooklyn! This past month has flown by! Here are some things about Brooklyn....

-She is standing on her own very comfortably and can get to a standing position without needing to hold onto anything. She cruises around furniture and will take small steps in between the couches but will only take steps in the open while holding my hands. I don't think walking is too far away but I could be wrong!
-Hates anything on her head or feet. Takes off her socks, shoes, hats and head bows all the time. I miss the time that I could put anything on her and she didn't care or notice. Her hair is growing like crazy now, so that is nice!
-She loves to hear her little voice and is always babbling on in her gibberish language. She mostly says "ba" "ga" and "mama"-when she wants something or is tired. Still no "dada" but we are working on it and she always looks at him, or for him if he's not home, when i say "where's dada?" 
-Licks and smacks her lips when she wants some of what I am eating.
-Is starting to turn up her nose at any food on a spoon and wants to be miss independent and feed herself. This is actually more convenient for me but she still only has her two little teeth, so I get nervous sometimes she will choke! But she has done awesome, even with meats, as long as there's not too much in her mouth at once. I'm still always very close by in case there is a need for quick finger swipe though.
- She will eat pretty much anything I give her at this point (I'll tell you a sad story about that in a minute). Her favorite foods to feed herself are bananas, strawberries, pears, raspberries, Gerber cheese puffs (she could eat her weight with those), green beans, cheese, eggs, and meat.
-Here is a sad mommy fail moment...the other night we were at dinner with my in-laws at a Mexican restaurant. There was a "mild salsa" with lots of chunks of tomatoes. I had been eating it and it was pretty mild but I never tasted the tomatoes because I always pick around those. I figured since the rest of the salsa wasn't very spicy, the tomatoes wouldn't be either. So I fed her one. I didn't think anything of it and continued eating. Then my mother-in-law all of sudden says, "Did you feed her something spicy??!!!" I turned and looked at her and she had tears streaming down her face and her face was all red. Me: "I just fed her one of my tomatoes in the salsa!" MIL: "Those tomatoes are so spicy I couldn't eat them!!" I immediately tried to get it out and fed her lots of yogurt bites to try and tame it down. I felt TERRIBLE!!!! Scott kept telling me "she handled it like a champ, she handled it like a champ..." Which she really did, but I felt like the worst mom ever the rest of the night!!
-She is starting to point at things that she is excited about such as pictures of babies, Christmas lights, and the fish aquarium in the doctors office.
-She is starting to be such a stinker about taking her naps. Ever since she got all this new freedom with crawling, standing up, and walking around furniture, it's been a lot harder for her to turn off. All she wants to do is play in her crib. I will go in to rock her, not because she is crying and wants me to, but because that is the only way I can get her to close her eyes and go to sleep some naps. Sometimes she lets me rock her and she is out within 5-10 min and other times she gets so mad and tries so hard to get out of my arms - and believe me she is so strong - because she knows I am trying to put her to sleep. After I become too tired of wrestling with her, I will lay her back down and she gets a huge smile on her face and just starts playing again. She definitely has a mind of her own and has missed quite a few naps because of it. I'm trying a bunch of strategies to get her to still take 2 naps and put herself to sleep like she always has, so hopefully we can get back on track soon. I know I just need to be patient and try my best to teach her how to relax and fall asleep, but it gets so frustrating! She does so amazing at night though. All I have to do is feed her a bottle and lay her down and she will put herself to sleep pretty fast.
-Her favorite book is "Brown Bear" and everytime she sees it she gets really excited and points to it. This is really the only book she will sit still and really listen to till the end. If I move on to another book, she gets uninterested pretty fast so I read "Brown Bear" again and again and again.
-Can drink out of straws really well. Haven't tried any other kind of sippy cup yet.
-Still empties out everything and is learning how to open more and more drawers. She is seriously a living tornado.
-I would say her first official word is "uh-oh," which she says after she drops something.
-She has gotten much better about not putting everything in her mouth the second she sees it.
-Crosses her feet when she is sitting, it is too cute!
-Is starting to "dance" when she hears music she recognizes.
-Is obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, especially on the Ipad (Mickey Mouse Road Rally App). It has seriously created a little monster out of her so I keep it hidden all day and only bring it out when I'm ok with her watching because she goes crazy when she sees it! It's so nice though for times when I need her to be preoccupied like while I'm making dinner. She gets so excited everytime it starts!
-Crawls super fast now and will come to us when we call for her.
-LOVES her pink blankie Grandma Martin made for her! Everytime I go get her in the morning or after a nap she immediately sits down and grabs her blankie so that she can hold on to it for a while longer.
-Is becoming much more affectionate-we are loving it! She loves to rest her head on our shoulders, give us hugs, and pat us on the back. She is especially cuddly after she wakes up. She doesn't give her nice, slobbery kisses as freely (good girl ;)) so we LOVE it everytime she plants one on us.
-Waves really well and everytime I put on my coat or grab my keys she hurries to me, climbs up my leg till I pick her up, and starts waving "bye bye." She loves to go to new places and flirt with all the strangers.
-Most of the time she is really social but there are times when she gets shy and will grab me tight and bury her head tight in my neck if she's not quite sure about somebody.
-She gets really funny at night when she is tired and will go and lay her head down everywhere, roll on the ground, and just do random things!
-I know I say this everytime, but I love this stage! She keeps me so busy and it's so fun to see all the things she is learning! For the most part she is a very happy and good baby and I just love being her mom!

Our computer is having issues and is getting fixed right now so I will have to post a few more recent pics later.

No comments: