Monday, January 7, 2013

2012 Recap

As much as I LOVE the Christmas Season and am always sad when it is over, there is also something so nice, and refreshing about putting away all the decorations and starting fresh in a new year. I love taking the time to reflect on the events of the past year, set new goals, and look forward to the year ahead. This past year has been the craziest year yet for us and has been full of changes, adjustments, and learning. It has also brought me the most joy as I became a mother, which has always been a dream to me. I'm not sure how we ever lived without Brooklyn! 

Here is a recap of our 2012...

January
  • I was an oompa loompa anxiously waiting for Brooklyn to arrive.
  • I was in full-on nesting mode and finished getting our new home and nursery ready for Brooklyn's arrival.
  • I had a baby shower in California and my mom and sister-in-law, Brin, came and helped me get my last minute registry items.
  • Scott started working with his Dad at SB Martin doing residential and commercial construction.
  • We took a much needed day trip up to Tahoe to take my mind off of the bowling ball I was carrying around and with hopes that it would throw me into labor - no such luck!




February
  • Brooklyn Nicole Martin was born on February 6th at 3:08 pm, weighing in at 8 lb 5 oz and was 21 3/4 in long!!!
  • We were in "survival/zombie mode" all month as we tried to adjust to the newborn schedule...aka...no sleep. 
  • I was recovering all month and carried around a pillow everywhere to sit on, especially for car rides...for, well, I think you can guess. 
  • I was in no condition to celebrate Valentine's Day, which brought me to tears (but pretty much everything brought me to tears at that point-stupid hormones!)
  • My mom came and helped me during Brooklyn's first week and she was amazing! My older brother also came to visit during Brooklyn's first week and Brooklyn loved snuggling with him.  
  • We felt so blessed to have such a perfect, healthy, and beautiful little girl.













March
  • We blessed Brooklyn the first weekend in March and loved having all my family in town.
  • This was a pretty rough month for us b/c it was at the peak of Brooklyn's colic. Our eardrums were ringing a lot. 
  • My Pediatrician thought she had a milk allergy so we took her off dairy and I stopped nursing because she refused it.
  • She was a much happier baby once we took dairy out of her diet but she was still fussy a lot (but much better than before!)
  • Ashley Kirkland came and visited us for a weekend! It was so nice to see a very missed friend.  






April
  • Brooklyn's colicky stage ended and she turned into the happiest baby!
  • We started to feel like ourselves again and so we took a little trip down to Southern California to visit family.
  • Brooklyn rolled from tummy to back for the first time. 
  • I took and passed the NCLEX and officially became a Registered Nurse!
  • We got to meet our new niece Nicole.
  • We bought our Equinox and have loved it ever since. 
  • I took a trip to Boise to visit my family.




May
  • We took a trip to the Big Island, Hawaii for a week! We stayed at the Mauna Lani and it was amazing, we wish we could go every year!!!
  • We went to Boise for my little sister Erica's high school graduation.
  • We celebrated my first Mother's Day. 
  • Brooklyn rolled from back to tummy for the first time. 
  • Brooklyn's hair started rapidly balding like an old man!





June
  • Brooklyn started taking walks in her stroller like a big girl.
  • My mom came and visited for a few days.
  • Brooklyn started eating solids. 
  • Brooklyn spent lots of time in just her diaper due to the summer heat.
  • We celebrated Scott's first Father's Day. 
  • Brooklyn's hair continued to get more bald and out of control...







July
  • Brooklyn jumped her little heart out in her jumper.
  • We celebrated the 4th of July at the Ackerman's.
  • We went down to Newport Beach for our niece, Nicole's, baby blessing.
  • I gave Brooklyn her first haircut b/c her hair became too unmanageable!
  • Brooklyn started sitting up on her own. 
  • Brooklyn and I went to Island Park, ID for the Tracy Family Reunion.








August
  • My little brother, Kevin, got married in the Mt. Timpanogas Temple and we loved seeing friends and family in Utah.
  • Brooklyn started to scoot and army crawl.
  • Brooklyn loved to go to the swings.
  • Brian, Lyndsay, Chad and Nicole came to El Dorado Hills for a visit. 
  • We were sad to watch our first in a lot of years, BYU home football game from our couch.
  • Brooklyn took a dip in Grandma and Grandpa Martin's pool. 







September
  • All of Brooklyn's bald spots grew back in so she got one more hair cut to even it all out.
  • Scotty left on a week long fishing trip with his dad and one of my besties Whitney and her little boy Calvin came to stay with us for a few days. 
  • Brooklyn had lots of blowouts for some reason. 
  • My Dad, brother Danny, and SIL Brin came to visit and we went to San Francisco for the day.
  • Brooklyn started crawling and standing up on furniture. 






October
  • My mom came to visit for a few days.
  • We went up to Apple Hill with Scott's parents
  • Brooklyn got her first two bottom teeth.
  • We went to a pumpkin patch with the Snarr's.
  • We had to "baby proof" our whole house because Brooklyn decided her favorite activity was to open and empty drawers and cabinets. 
  • Brooklyn got her first ponytail!
  • Brooklyn dressed up as a Bumble Bee for Halloween. 









November
  • Brooklyn got upgraded to a bigger car seat.
  • We visited Grandpa Martin's grave for Veteran's Day.
  • Brooklyn continued to be a living tornado around our house.
  • We spent Thanksgiving with Scott's parents, Brian, Lyndsay, Chad, and Nicole.
  • We cut down our own Christmas tree at Apple Hill.







December
  • Brooklyn sat on Santa's lap and wasn't sure what to think about him.
  • I enjoyed dressing Brooklyn up in her Christmas outfits.
  • Brooklyn started taking steps on her own. 
  • I finished Brooklyn's stocking finally. 
  • We spent Christmas in Boise with the Tracy's and had so much fun watching Brooklyn open all her presents.





We are excited to welcome in a new year and look forward to all the fun adventures 2013 will bring. Happy New Year!

No comments: