Sunday, June 3, 2012

Hawaii 2012

A couple weeks ago we were fortunate enough to go to the Big Island for a week. We stayed at the Mauna Lani Resort. I still can't believe we went but am happy we did. Scotty came to me in the hospital the day after Brooklyn was born and said that his parents found really cheap airfare out of Oakland to Hawaii and they would pay for our hotel and half of golf (it was a golfing tournament) if we went. He kept asking me, "Should we go? Should we go?" I was so sleep deprived, still light-headed from my blood loss, and my brain was obvious preoccupied with other things that I just said, "Honey, I don't care. I can't think straight right now, you know our finances and so you decide if we can go, I'll be fine will whatever decision you make." Of course he wanted to go but kept asking for my opinion. I think he finally realized that I wasn't just trying to be difficult and indecisive but I really physically couldn't take on the decision. So he pulled the trigger and booked the flights that night. :) He was just as sleep deprived and the next morning asked me if he really booked those flights. lol We were obviously naive to how much work a baby is and during Brooklyn's difficult months I kept thinking "How are we seriously going to take her to Hawaii?? This is going to be a disaster!" But she did soooo great!! She totally exceeded my expectations and was so flexible. She slept like a trooper and never even missed a nap! She slept on the bed, in her car seat, on her playmat by the pool, in the baby carrier (facing in AND out!), and in my arms under the cabana on the beach. Seriously, so amazing. I think the funniest one was when she was facing out in her baby carrier. We were coming back from a walk and it was getting close to her nap time when I noticed her head felt more limp than normal so I asked the girls with me if she was asleep and sure enough she was! I put my hand up by her face so she could rest her head on it. It really wasn't a burden to go up to the room to put her down for a nap either because I was able to either take a nap myself, get our stuff organized, or read out on the balcony. The time difference worked in our favor too b/c she would be asleep for the night around 5 p.m. Hawaii time so she was always fast asleep during dinner and card games. We got SUPER lucky and had an extra seat in between us for both flights so she slept in that seat the majority of both flights. Don't get me wrong, she had her cranky moments and it's 10x more work and a lot less relaxing to take a baby on vacation, but overall she did great and we had fun. Some of the highlights of the trip included: Going on walks, GOLF-for Scotty (He said the two courses were by far the best courses he has ever played), laying by the pool and ocean, coconut-crusted french toast, sunsets on the beach, and going out to eat with family/friends. Here are some pics of our week...

Brooklyn needed a pit stop on our walk...

The pool was SO warm so Brooklyn took a swim...

 Scotty golfing...











LOVED that Ash Bash and Case were there!!
 Ignore my chinese eyes lol...

Love him...
 (my pics were so dark so I had to lighten them a lot which is why some of the backgrounds look fake...again, I need a new camera) 







 The resort...


 This girl is too much fun, such a sassy little thing...




 With Uncle Danny and Aunt Kaitlin...












If only we could make this an annual trip- we can dream!

2 comments:

the Sisters said...

Sad we missed it! I am so jealous of all the hair Brooklyn has!! It looks so cute in headbands. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for our little Nic to grow some. :) Xo.

Nielsens said...

she is too cute!!!! i love all of the pics and am glad she was a good girl for you on the trip.
ps is it normal for scotty to wear flip flops in the pool?? haha