I recently typed up a document for my good friend and sister-in-law who are both pregnant and had some questions/wanted some recommendations. After reading a similar thing on my friend Whit's blog, I decided to copy mine over as well. I have added a lot to what I originally had b/c I thought it would be a good idea to write these things down for my own memory when the time comes for round 2. These are just some tips/recommendations for Moms-To-Be and some things I wish I had known before I had a baby. In no way do I claim to be an expert of any kind but I love reading/hearing what other Mom's have to say as well, so I hope somebody gets something out of this. Disclaimer-this is really long and it can get graphic at times- I'm a nurse, so talking about bodily functions is no big deal and we're all girls anyways right?!...
· Pregnancy: There are so many different symptoms
and degrees of severity for each symptom so I’ll just tell you some key things I
learned or used during pregnancy.
o
I’m going to start at the very beginning and put
a plug in for a book I borrowed from my good friend while we were trying to get
pregnant that I loved! It’s called “Taking Charge of your Fertility.” Some
people get pregnant really quick or even without trying, but I would say it
takes time for the majority of people. This book just talks about your cycle,
how to know when your ovulating, etc. Even if you think you already know
everything about your cycle (which I thought I did since I’ve had to learn it
about a billion times in school) it still gives a lot of great insight.
Everybody that I’ve recommended it to has said that they really liked it as
well.
o
Zofran. If you start feeling really sick and are
throwing up, ESPECIALLY if you can’t keep anything down, call your OB (even if
you haven’t seen them yet, which is usually the case). A nurse will usually
just talk to you about it over the phone and they will call in a prescription
to your pharmacy. There are multiple anti-nausea medications but I only used
Zofran. It never completely took my nausea away but helped take the edge off so
I could survive working-don’t think I could have without it! The main side effect
of this med is constipation so do what you can to stay regular!
o
Pregnancy pillow. If you are a stomach sleeper
like me, sleep can be very disturbed during pregnancy.
Something that definitely helped me was a pregnancy pillow. I just got the
Boppy brand one at Target. It was pretty good, really big though. I swear by
the end of my pregnancy, I took up over half our Cal King between me, my huge belly, and my
pillow!
o
Be sure to take your Prenatals as soon as
possible, in fact, if you’re trying, start taking them now. The main thing in
them that you need plenty of is Folic Acid. These can be hard on your tummy so
I always took mine at night.
o
There are medications you can take for
heartburn, talk to your OB to see what he/she recommends. I had to sleep
propped up almost every night by the end b/c it hurt so bad.
· Delivery/Recovery:
o
Some hospitals don’t let you eat or drink
anything except ice chips in case of an emergency and you have to go to surgery,
so try to eat before you go. Especially if this is your first baby, I can
pretty much guarantee you will have a pretty lengthy labor so a stop at the drive-thru won’t be a big deal and will really help. Although, this would
depend on how severe your contractions are and if you even want to stop. My
hospital let me have “clears” –water, jello, and broth-I’m glad we had just
finished dinner when I went to the hospital b/c after 19 hours of labor and only eating clears, I was
obviously starving.
o
Epidural: I loved mine and plan on doing it every
time. I think they are gifts sent from heaven. Others might not agree with me
and want to go natural and that’s great, but I’m an epidural girl ALL THE WAY!
It’s a little scary getting it placed but it’s over before you know it and
totally worth it in my opinion.
o
During the hospital stay, request to see a
lactation specialist if you are questioning his or her latch at all b/c you
don’t want to crack at all like I did. The nurses should be able to help you
too but I would take advantage of the lactation specialist’s knowledge while
you are there. Just know that the latch is KEY to successful breastfeeding so
really work on this during those first hours. If you are questioning it or
aren’t comfortable yet, always wait for the nurse to come help before feeding, even if they
are crying. Newborns are designed to not need a lot of food for the first day
or two before your actual milk comes in, so I promise they will be ok if you
have to wait a little bit for your nurse. It’s so much better in the long run
to get it right at the beginning. Try to keep it within every 3 hours at the
beginning so that it stimulates your milk to come in and you can get a good milk
supply, but if you have to wait a little longer, it will be just fine. Thinking
back, I think I can pinpoint the feeding that caused me to crack. It was a few
hours after she was delivered, I had breastfed once already with the nurses
help and Brooklyn had done good, she was now crying and I started freaking out
thinking she was starving, Scotty had left to go get food, it was during shift
change with the nurses, so I decided to give it a shot by myself. It must have
been too shallow of a latch-they have to be a lot deeper than you think-and I
cracked. I have a feeling that a lot of my problems could have been eliminated
if I had just been patient and waited for my nurse.
o
I wish I would have taken a breastfeeding class
before she was born. But I was being cheap and didn’t want to spend $30. I
think I’m going to before the next one even though I know how to do it now. It can be really tricky and hard so I figure the more knowledge I have, the
better. I think I had almost every problem with breastfeeding and it caused me
a lot of anguish. I had everything going against me with cracked, bleeding
nipples, yeast infections in both that didn’t clear up till after 2+ weeks of
antibiotics, a baby that would refuse to nurse, a baby that we think had a milk
allergy and cried all day long, etc. I went to see the Nurse
Practitioner at my OB’s office when Brooklyn was 4 weeks because the first round of antibiotics hadn’t helped, and I was still having stabbing pains in between
feedings, even when I pumped. I was so frustrated and tired and just broke down
crying to her. She said something that helped me realize it was ok to stop breastfeeding
if I needed to. She said, “All that matters is that you have a happy, healthy
baby and a happy, healthy mom.” I’m a total advocate for breastfeeding and
think it is awesome, if it works for
baby and mom. If you want to
breastfeed but are having problems, I would say to give it some time, don’t
give up right away, and get some help. But if it just doesn’t work out or you just don’t want to, DON’T
WORRY ABOUT IT! I had a really hard time dealing with it, but I have realized
it’s really not the end of the world-it sucks to spend the money-but there are
a lot of positives to bottle-feeding as well. My baby is growing and thriving
perfectly, so I’m just enjoying the positive aspects and hoping for the best
with the next baby.
o
“Newman’s Ointment.” I had never heard of this but
I later looked it up when I was having a million problems breastfeeding and it
was basically the same ointments the lactation specialist had Scotty go get me
while I was in the hospital because they really help with sore and/or cracked
nipples. It’s totally safe for the baby and you don’t have to wipe off before
you feed because it gets absorbed really fast. I would have these before you go
to the hospital and use them right away:
§
Clotrimazole Cream (antifungal)
§
Cortizone 10
§
Polysporin (Bacitracin Zinc-Polymyxin B Sulfate)
§
Directions: Squeeze out a little and equal
amount of each ointment into hand (total amount should equal around the size of
a pea or just enough to apply a thin layer to each nipple) and mix them
together. Apply after each feeding.
o
If you tear at all, make sure the nurses give
you a stool softener around the clock and DON’T stop taking them once you get
home. They will probably give you Colace (Docusate Sodium) in the hospital and
you can buy this over the counter. I would have this already before you have
the baby. I took 100mg liquid gels 1-3x per day. It’s totally safe for the
baby. I will spare you the details but believe me when I say that you DO NOT
WANT TO HAVE STOOLS THAT ARE HARD AT ALL!!!! I had a pretty traumatic experience
my first time going to the bathroom and I would venture to say that it was more
painful than anything in labor. I ended up drinking lots of Metamucil and prune juice as well.
o
Also if you tear at all, make sure they give you
topical anesthetics in the hospital. You should get a spray, Tucks, and some
sort of foam (can’t remember the name). The spray they gave me was Dermoplast
and I’m pretty sure you can get it at the pharmacy if they don’t give it to
you. You can also get Tucks at the pharmacy as well-they are pads soaked in
witch hazel and you just put a couple on your pad. I switched them out all day
long and they really helped with the pain. They also give you a squirt bottle
to clean down there b/c you can't wipe for awhile and they are
awesome.
o
Nursing bras: I bought a couple regular nursing
bras from Motherhood Maternity outlet and they were pretty good. I used the
Lansinou pads which people have told me is the best. The best thing I bought
though was a couple just cotton nursing bras, they aren’t as tight as a sports
bra, super comfortable, and I lived in them pretty much all day to keep nursing pads in. I loved these and actually
wished I had more because they can get soaked in milk and start to smell bad
pretty fast.
o
Baby Blues. This isn’t something a lot of people
talk about but I wish we would. I know first hand that Baby Blues is real,
totally normal, and OK to experience. I think I cried everyday for the first
few weeks after Brooklyn was born. I also know that Postpartum Depression is a
real thing. I never got to this point, but I would say I was borderline when
the problems with breastfeeding and Brooklyn’s crying around the clock was at
its peak, so I can see how it can progress to that point. Women have so many dang
hormones shifting to-and-fro, ESPECIALLY during pregnancy, during/after
delivery, and while breastfeeding that can do crazy things to your emotions. I
think sleep deprivation can also fry your nerves and make you go a little
crazy/make you irrational at times. Newborns (and I’m assuming kids in general)
can be hard and exhausting. Anybody who tells you otherwise is either lying or
has superhuman powers or has an angel baby/kid. If you experience baby blues or
are having a hard time at the beginning, just remember that it’s normal, you
are doing an amazing job, and it doesn’t mean that you love your baby any less
than the neighbor or friend who seems to have had it all together during that
stage. If you think you need some help, please get it. Every pregnancy,
delivery, recovery, baby, mom, and situation is so different and unique, that
we really shouldn’t compare ourselves with others. I know this is a lot harder
said than done with women. Having your first baby is in my opinion, the biggest
change of your life, so if you are having a hard time, are discouraged, need to
vent, or just need a little “pick me up,” CALL ME. I am so grateful for all the
family members and friends that were there for me. I also just want to be clear
in that I’m not trying to scare any moms-to-be or put a damper on the amazing
experience it is to bring a baby into this world because it truly is such a
blessing and sacred time. There is nothing more incredible than to hold and
take care of your baby and I view Motherhood as a sacred responsibility that
women have been blessed with. I don’t think there is anything more fulfilling
or that can bring you more happiness. When it comes to getting pregnant,
pregnancy, giving birth, and being a parent, I like to remember what the Savior
said… “I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.” After one pregnancy and 5 months of being a mom, I can testify that that is true.
Ok, on a lighter note, here are some baby supply recommendations/feedback. I know that trying to
register and figure out what you want/need for a new baby is pretty
overwhelming as a first time mom. Lots is based on the preference of the
parents AND the baby. I made some mistakes because I hadn’t considered the fact
that your baby will have his or her preference as well! I know a lot of the stuff is
pretty expensive and there are so many things out there, but one thing I had to
keep reminding myself was that I can reuse pretty much everything for the rest
of my kids. I have learned that quality is better than quantity when it comes
to baby supplies. Again, I’m no expert, but here are some things that I have learned
from this first time around…
·
When it comes to bottles, pacifiers, etc. only
buy the minimum amount until you figure out what kind your baby and you like
the best. I bought a bunch of bottles and pacifiers that I thought I loved and
it turned out that she would take a certain type so much better and others she
didn’t want anything to do with. Once you figure out what you think is best,
then go buy more. I definitely wasted some money because of this.
·
Carseat/stroller: I think this is the hardest
decision of them all when it comes to baby supplies. In fact, I’m still trying
to decide if I made a good decision or not. I love our carseat. It is the
Chicco Keyfit 30 and we ended up getting the travel system for a stroller. We
actually really like the stroller, it’s easy to maneuver and open/close and I
love that I can just snap the carseat in it. However, it does take up a lot of
our trunk space and is NOT good for jogging-I have tried and it’s like running
in slow motion. The biggest dilemma I had/still have is whether I should have
gotten a jogger instead or just need to get it in addition to a travel system.
Now that I’m working out again and she is old enough to support herself enough
to not need the carseat for runs outside, I wish I had a jogger and am looking
into getting one. I was going to get the BOB initially and they have a carseat
adapter you can buy, but honestly the thing holding us back was the $$. But now
that I know I want a jogger it might have been the better choice to just get it
in the first place. But if you don’t plan on going jogging outside very often,
I don’t think it would be worth the money. I need to research more if the
B.O.B. or City Joggers are really worth the money in the first place or if the
cheaper joggers would work just fine. This decision is hard and is totally
based on your lifestyle and what you think you would get the most use out of.
·
Swing: I debated a lot over this one too. I
ended up getting a cheaper Graco one initially because I didn’t think she would
really use it that much anyways. Well, I was wrong and it turns out that she
loved her swing and this is where she used to sleep the best during the day.
She was using it so much that we would go through 4-C batteries within a few
days (expensive!) We should have gotten re-chargable batteries from the
beginning. It really didn’t run very well either so we ended up buying a new,
nice one that plugs in. I wish we would have just gotten the better one in the
first place but we were trying to save money and space (the first one was a lot
smaller than the new one). We bought the Fisher-Price My Little Snugabunny
Cradle n’ Swing and she loves it!! This is all preference though.
·
Bouncer: We have gotten a lot of good use out of
our bouncer as well. It’s nice to just sit her in it and she can chill there
while I try to get other things done. When she was a newborn she slept in it a
lot too. She also loves when it is on vibrate. I got mine at my baby shower and
it was only around $30.
·
Play mat: You will learn that a lot of the
things you buy are to give your baby something that they can entertain
themselves with so you don’t have to be constantly entertaining them yourself.
I ended up buying a play mat so that she had something to play with on her own
at times and I’ll get down and play with her too while she is on it. I wouldn’t
say this is necessary but definitely nice to have.
·
Bumbo: This is nice to have her sit in to eat
solids now. She doesn’t like to sit in for long though because she likes to be
able to move around but other moms have said their kids love it.
·
Breastpump: I got my breastpump as a group gift
at my CA baby shower and I’m so glad I did! Especially with how many problems I
had, it was so nice to have a nice, efficient pump. I have the Medella Advanced
Pump in Style. It is a double pump so you can pump from both sides at the same
time and it would only take me 10-15 minutes to get drained. Even if you don’t
have any problems breastfeeding, it would be great to have if you work
part-time and need to pump while you are away from the baby-that was the main
reason I got this one in the first place. It’s expensive ($300) but I think
it’s worth it if you think you will need to pump fairly often.
·
We got
the Baby Bjorn baby carrier. She didn’t like it that much facing in but has
loved it facing out. I wouldn’t say that my back didn’t get tired or a little
sore from having her in it though so I’m not sure if there is a better one out
there.
·
Crib sheets- I initially got the super cheap
ones but they were seriously so scratchy and she wasn’t loving her crib for a
while so a friend suggested the “Heavenly soft chenille sheet.” I bought one off of Amazon and
it is sooo soft. I think Brooklyn really loves it too because she sleeps on her
side with her face pressed against it most nights. I think anything that will
help her sleep through the night in her crib is worth the money.
·
I
love Baby Aquaphor 10x better than Desitin (multiple people recommended this to
me too) and it’s all I use now. Even if she doesn’t have a rash, I put it on at
least once a day (usually before bed) to prevent it. It clears it up so fast
too.
·
Baby
Gas Drops: I would have this before you bring baby home. This doesn’t always do
anything (My Ped. Said it only works 20% of the time) but it’s worth a shot if
baby seems gassy and fussy. You can give it multiple times throughout the day
and when she was super fussy I would just put it in her bottles.
·
Baby
Genie: I got one as a shower gift and I don’t even use it anymore. I got tired
of spending the money on the refills b/c we go through them so fast and they
aren’t cheap. We are right next to the trash so I just use a grocery sack to
take them out whenever they start piling up but if your trash is a ways away, I
would just get a trash can and take it out every night or every other day, or
whenever it really starts to smell (breastmilk poop really doesn’t smell that
bad, and even if they get piled up a lot, I don’t really even notice the smell
anymore lol) There are also bags you can buy to put diapers in if they are
really smelly, I just keep these in my diaper bag but you could use some on
really smelly ones so you don’t have to make as many trips outside.
Phew, I'm done. Now I'm off to bed. This peanut of mine will be up in no time...


2 comments:
Great post, Whit! Very informative for all the new and future mommies. When we had Nicole I got the City double jogger and it's awesome. The only thing is its a little heavy. If you're starting to work out though you need a good jogger. Can't wait to see you in a couple days!! Xo.
Ok eve though you sent me a full email I loved this recap too with a little more info! Thx for sharing all of your wise words of wisdom :)
Ps I just read an article on how common the baby blues are even if it doesn't get to full post pardum depression. Sorry you had a hard time :( the article I read said up to 80% of mothers reported some level of it so you're definitely not alone. Of course I'm praying I'll be fine but don't be alarmed if I call crying one day after my baby girl is here haha
Post a Comment